Thursday, October 4, 2012

JM 30 DS

I am letting you all know the update.... JILLIAN MICHAELS IS A BITCH!! Haha, for real though, the 30 DS is going great! I finally learned to mute her and crack my itunes!! Today was the first day that I was pretty sore (I'm on level 1 day 4) but not so much that I can't barely walk! I have been really good so far this week with my calories and I haven't missed a Shred day yet!! I usually do it right at 6 when I get home from the hospital and my sister is free, then I eat dinner and get some shit done and go to bed! I am usually pretty worn out!! Here is the pic of me and my skinny bitch sister right after finishing Day 3!

In other (probably REALLY gross to some of you) news, I got to observe surgery today at the hospital! HOLY SHIT Y'ALL. First, let me tell you... I DO NOT DO BLOOD AND GUTS. I repeat... I DO NOT DO BLOOD AND GUTS. I pass out every time I get a damn IV! You would think I would be used to it by now with all the recent surgeries I have had, but I STILL pass out every time. So, why the HELL did I think I would be able to handle surgery?!? I figured I would give it a shot and if I felt like shit, I could leave. It was a totally laryngectomy (aka taking out the "voice box" and moving your wind pipe up so you can breathe through a hole in your neck) on a guy that I have been following for quite a while. I was there with him and his wife when they found out his cancer was back... he had tried chemo and radiation already. I had scrubs, hair net, face mask, shoe covers... the whole 9 yards!!!  The surgeon was freaking AWESOME. He is also a teacher at a nearby university, so once he took the larynx out he was pointing out all the structures... it was awesome!! BUT, let me tell you... that shit is freakin nasty, for real! There was blood and cancer all over the place!! It was a GREAT learning experience, and I am so glad I did it, but it is definitely something I wouldn't want to do every day!! I handled it WAY better than I thought I was going to!! I didn't get queasy or pass out! SO PROUD of myself!!

I will spare you guys all the nasty details, but if you ever have the opportunity to observe surgery, I totally suggest you take advantage!! I wanted to take a picture all scrubbed up for y'all, but I didn't have my phone! Another one of my patient's is having the same surgery later this month, maybe I will suck it up and go watch, just so I can get a scrub pic for y'all!

Keep on truckin' ladies!!!
Lindsay

No comments:

Post a Comment